During Saturday’s NFL Draft coverage, coach Danny Gonzales and the University of New Mexico Lobos Football program got some national love.
“With the one hundred and ninety-eighth pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select Jerrick Reed, DB, New Mexico.”
According to the UNM athletic department, Reed becomes the first Lobo drafted since Jason Sanders in 2018 (Miami Dolphins kicker) and the highest UNM draft pick since 2011 (Glover Quin, Detroit Lions).
Reed has been a staple of UNM’s defense since stepping onto the field for the first time in 2019. He played in 10 games as a freshman, during which he recorded his first pick-six in his third game as a Lobo.
The defensive score game in front of an announced crowd of over 27,000 at University Stadium to start a thrilling 55-52 win over New Mexico State. Reed picked off a pass and returned it for 43 yards and a score on the second play from scrimmage.
Welcome to Albuquerque, young man!
Since then, he was consistently one of the most productive and reliable players among the entire starting 22.
By the time his senior year came around in 2022, Reed was tasked with spying on the opposition’s top wide receiver. He finished the 2022 season ranked seventh in the Mountain West in tackles.
Over the last two seasons, Reed started all 24 games, recorded over 100 solo tackles (195 total), defended 20 passes, intercepted a pair of throws, and forced two fumbles.
As a whole, the Mountain West saw plenty of action during Saturday’s draft schedule and in the hours after when players get signed as Undrafted Free Agents.
Here is how the conference fared during, and after, the 2023 NFL Draft:
Round 4, pick 25 (127 overall)- Fresno State QB Jake Haener, New Orleans Saints
Round 4, pick 27 (129)- San Jose State DE Viliami Fehoko, Dallas Cowboys
Round 6, pick 6 (183)- Boise State Safety JL Skinner, Denver Broncos
Round 6, pick 21 (198)- New Mexico DB Jerrick Reed, Seattle Seahawks
Round 6, pick 23 (200)- Boise State DT Scott Matlock, LA Chargers
Undrafted Free Agents
- CB Caleb Biggers, Cleveland Browns
- EDGE George Tarlas, Las Vegas Raiders
- OT John Ojukwu, Tennessee Titans
- Safety Tyreque Jones, Tennessee Titans
- LB Dequan Jackson, Jacksonville Jaguars
- RB Jordan Mims, Buffalo Bills
- WR Jalen Moreno-Cooper- Dallas Cowboys
- WR Nikko Remigio, Kansas City Chiefs
- EDGE David Perales, Pittsburgh Steelers
- WR Zion Bowens, Washington Commanders
- LB Austin Ajiake, Carolina Panthers
- EDGE Adam Plant Jr., Las Vegas Raiders
- RB Calvin Tyler Jr., Cincinnati Bengals
San Diego State
- RB/KR Jordan Byrd (Manzano HS)- Pittsburgh Steelers
- DL Keshawn Banks (Rio Rancho HS)- Green Bay Packers
- WR Tyrell Shavers, Buffalo Bills
- WR Jesse Mathews, Houston Texans
- OL Alama Uluave, Miami Dolphins
- DT Jonah Tavai, Seattle Seahawks
San Jose State
- RB Titus Swen, Indianapolis Colts